Your reference code:

Who To Notify When Moing House | A Helpful Checklist

There are a million and one things to think of when you move to a new house: hiring removalists, packing boxes, what to bring, what not to bring and of course, how on earth you are going to tell every person and organisation that sends you mail that you’ve moved.

One way of knowing who to notify when moving house is by keeping track of where your mail is coming from in the weeks before you move. But you’re still likely to overlook some less frequent yet equally important correspondents.

Instead, we’ve done the thinking for you by compiling this checklist of everyone that is likely to need a heads up about your move.

Why Notifying Everyone Is Important

The effort of trawling through every account you’ve ever made with an organisation can feel like too much. But it’s important not to put off this chore.

The alternative is having to deal with overdue bills and lapses in services. You also don’t know whose hands your lost mail will fall into. Failing to redirect mail, especially from financial institutions, could lead to serious problems like identity theft.

Who To Notify When Moving House

Australia Post

Australia Post offers a mail redirection service that will forward mail sent to your old address to your new one. Problem solved, right?

Not quite. This is sadly not a permanent fix. Instead, mail redirection is a paid service only designed to buy you more time to notify correspondents of your change in address.

Service Providers

These are some of the most pressing organisations to notify when moving house, as forgetting a few of these could leave you out of pocket in one way or another.

Failing to notify your insurance company, for example, could be the difference between a future claim being denied or approved. This is because some insurance rates, like your home or car insurance, vary depending on the area you live in.

Government-Related Bodies

It’s crucial not to overlook government-related bodies. In the case of the Australian Electoral Commission, you could even be in legal trouble by failing to vote in a compulsory election.

  • Australian Taxation Office
  • Australian Electoral Commission
  • Centrelink
  • Child Support Agency
  • Department of Human Services
  • Your state’s transport department (driver’s license and motor vehicle registration)
  • Library
  • Local council
  • Pet registration
  • Concession cards
  • Educational institutions
  • Department of Veteran’s Affairs
  • Water and sewerage


Some of these less official groups are the most important to notify, like friends and family. Especially if you have friends and family overseas, it’s a good idea to send out an email to let them know your new address. Suspended services or lost newspapers is one thing, but Christmas cards and postcards from loved ones are irreplaceable.

  • Frequent flyer programs
  • Subscriptions to publications like newspapers and magazines
  • Clubs
  • Alumni groups
  • Charities
  • Your employer
  • Friends and family

Health and Medical

These tend to be slightly less urgent, but it is nonetheless important for your records to be up to date.

  • Medicare
  • Local GP
  • Health professionals you regularly visit (podiatrist, optometrist etc.)
  • Dentist
  • Gym
  • Private health insurance
  • Veterinary service

If you’re feeling overwhelmed by the long checklist, Compare & Connect can help you take care of switching over a range of services. Moving house can be the perfect time to end your contract with your gas, electricity or broadband provider and start fresh with a better deal in your new home. For help setting up these services in your new home or deciding whether to switch deals, visit Comp

Sally Writes 29 Nov 2020